Meatless Pulled BBQ

I can honestly say there were no animals hurt in the making of this meal.

I must admit, I have a husband that is a better cook than I could ever be. He really is! I think his
specialty is in seasoning things. 

I like to cook up spaghetti squash and use it in place of spaghetti when I eat my Nutrisystem meatballs or other Italian dishes. However, I'm not always eating Nutrisystem. I have been on the maintenance plan of the diet where I eat a lot of my own meals. They call these "flex meals".

I'm always looking for healthy alternatives. First let me say, I am no vegan. I love meat! My problem
is eating veggies. I need to eat more of those. That's when I found a recipe for BBQ using spaghetti squash. I just so happen to have one in the fridge already cooked and ready to eat. I showed it to my husband and he worked his magic.

I came home for lunch and the house was smelling like grandmas kitchen on Sunday afternoon. He had made me the most delicious non meat BBQ I'll ever have. I slapped that stuff on a 100 calorie sandwich round and bam! It tasted almost like the real thing (almost). It was spicy and sweet at the same time and pretty much had the texture of pulled pork.
If your looking for a meat free meal, needing to digest more veggies or just want a healthy alternative, this is a win. It will leave you feeling full and satisfied. You will leave the table feeling good that you just had your vegetables.


Here's the recipe. Your welcome.

Pulled BBQ Squash
First- Cook a spaghetti squash.
Cut in half, scoop out the seeds, spray with olive oil, salt/pepper and bake 375 for one hour.
Scoop out the inside and set aside. It scoops out looking like spaghetti. Hence the name.


In a sauce pan add all ingredients below and saute until onions are soft and browned.
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
Add 1/2 tsp vegetable stock (this will loosen onions from the pan)
Once the stock is adsorbed, add the spaghetti squash and 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
Heat and stir 3 to 5 minutes longer. 
Remove from heat
Place on a bun and top with slaw if desired. 
Enjoy


Note: The squash can be cooked and refrigerated for a couple days until ready to make this recipe if desired.



9 comments

  1. WOW, that sounds good. We have never had a spaghetti squash as I know of. Imma ask Sherry!
    I like the photos with the explanation. Good! Who woulda thunk it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a vegan (yet) but am a vegetarian and this looks good. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut the door! And lock me in with that BBQ sandwich. Whodathought you could do that with spaghetti squash. If you ever get tired of that old boy send him this way. I could use a good houseboy that could cook. This one can't boil water without wrecking the pan it is in...lol...no joke- when he used to cook something and the smoke alarm went off the kids would yell- "food's ready"...lol xo Diana

    ps. I copied this recipe down- thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound good, an excellent alternative to meat, my daughter is a vegetarian and this sounds like something she would love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think some people are born with a cooking gene

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dish looks so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe to make it at C&C with J&J!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good. For you, I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds yummy and good for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow !!! Looks Good ad Yummy , I am hungry now !!!


    Reenoy
    Staff Office Chairs

    ReplyDelete