DIY Cotton Stems

Happy Fall yall!
Gosh that was hard to say. I’m a sunshine and Summer gal.
We were suppose to head to the beach this weekend but the campground has no vacancies. This has never happened to us before. I’m thinking it’s due to all the Florida folks in for higher ground. Uggh!!! We will just have to wait a couple weeks. The beach in October is still good. It may be a chill in the air but it is what it is. So,with that being said, I went ahead and put summer behind me and got busy creating a few decorations to go with the season.

Today I’m going to share my latest craft I have been itching for months to make. “Cotton stems”.
For the record, there were no farmers, slaves, immigrants, maw maws, paw paws or kids used in making this decoration. It's just the work of my own two hands and maybe Johnson and Johnson. 


My husband has pretty much stopped asking “why?” when I mention needing certain random things. I may get “the look” but he knows by now that I have a craft idea in mind and when that happens, there is no stopping me. I'm sure he appreciates this more than if I were to go on a shopping spree to Hobby Lobby. 

I pulled out a bag of cotton balls from the cabinet and a glue gun from the craft room. I asked my husband to pick me up two pine cones on his morning walk. I snapped a few dry twigs from a Crape Myrtle. That's all I needed for this project. 


I cut off several spikes from the pine cones and glued them onto the hand puffed cotton balls to look like the pods. 


With another dab of hot glue to the middle of the pods, I slid the end of the branches into the cotton. I wish I would have stuck to the darker pine shell. It gives it a better look.
Once finished, I put them in a vase, or jar to make the perfect natural decoration for the season.


I always admire the cotton fields we pass in South Carolina on our beach trips. My creation looks almost like the real thing minus the beetles.

Question: Just how long is a cotton picken minute?
My Answer: As long as it took daddy to fix something.
I've heard it many times "Just give me a cotton picken minute!"

9 comments

  1. Love the work of your crafty hands.
    I am not a fan of summer, but hope your autumn treats you kindly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yer so arty

    (I'm glad my Dina isn't...snort)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! "Cotton pickin minute" hahaha yep, we heard that a lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute....I live in the middle of cotton growing and a field right across the street...I have fresh cotton stalks every fall....yours are so cute, tho

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that very much Lisa. Coming from a South Carolina boy who never picked cotton, I think a cotton picking minute varies depending on what you are doing at the time haha

    The more I look at what you've done, the more I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw real cotton once on a field trip, doesn't look very fun to pick

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so creative! You certainly have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good show! I must admit when I saw the product I asked myself what did she use for the broken bowl, I am glad you answered with the pine cone. Very ingenious. I like it...

    ReplyDelete